RAA Cross Country News
The RAA Cross Country Program is open to all of our area youth from grades 3-6.
We do NOT limit participation in our program to only Oakmont and Verona residents.
Cross Country Information
- All practices are held at the track at Riverside Park.
- Practices are Mondays and Thursdays 5:30-6:30 and some Saturday mornings.
- Participants are to bring a water bottle and wear appropriate running attire and shoes.
- Parents are responsible for arranging transportation to all practices and races.
- Practices will focus on running basics, good sportsmanship and having FUN!
- The first practice will be Monday, August 30, the season wraps in early October.
The RAA Cross Country team will participate in a few meets during the season.
Meet locations may include Frick Park, Schenley Park and Boyce Park.
Some of the meets will be larger events on Sunday morning/afternoon and there may also be smaller meets on weeknights.
RSVP to each meet is mandatory for participation.
The distances for races can vary but are typically:
0.8 miles for 3rd grade
1.2 miles for 4th-5th grade
1.5-1.8 miles for 6th grade.
Specific details on the meets will be communicated as it becomes available.
Cross Country is one of a few fall sports opportunities and we are understanding if young athletes have to miss practice occasionally due to scheduling conflict.
As with all RAA sports, we rely heavily on parent volunteers to make our programs as successful as possible. Even if you aren't a runner, we urge parents to volunteer to assist the coaches.